Thursday, November 18, 2010

Tutoring

So....my "job" was a bit of a disappointment. I interviewed with Baltimore County Home and Hospital and got the job and was thrilled. Then I found out that it is more like a substitute position. They call on you when they need you.
HOWEVER, it seems to be a pretty important job, I guess. I was called on for a Senior who was listed as "chronic". This means that she is very sick but can go to school sometimes. If she misses 2 consecutive days, then she qualifies for a little bit of tutoring. I do not have to do any lesson plans for her but simply help her with her work. She has 2 tutors (me - for LA/Social Studies, and tutor #2 - for Statistics and Science). So far we have done assignments (refreshing my memory) on Beowolf and The Mayor of Casterbridge.
Then I was called to see if I would tutor an 8th grade boy who is suspended for all of 2nd quarter. His mom has to miss work for his tutoring so I only see him once per week. Through his suspension he ONLY QUALIFIES FOR 4 HOURS OF TUTORING PER WEEK. In that 4 hours we are to cover (with lesson plans that i make) LA, math, science (chemistry), and Social studies. WHEW!!! We met this past week and he is the sweetest thing. He was so super organized and so smart. It seems like an honest story of "I can't believe I messed up ONE TIME, and now I can't go back to school till the end of January"!!
Anyway, I also have an interview on Monday with the same BCHHC dept for a .5 position for some sort of a telecomm class. I will find out more on Monday, but was pleased that I was called to interview for the spot!!
I have been to two job fairs at area colleges recently as well. Some of them have adjunct faculty positions in their College of Education available. Even if nothing comes of it, I believe they were both a good experience for me. AND I was a little shocked at how little they get paid, but it would be a "foot in the door" if i do get anything with them.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry your job has been kind of a bust! I know how you feel, I had to start out as a temp here at the university in order to get my foot in the door and I'm hoping that I can keep moving up as long as we're here. Adjunct faculty pay isn't very good but we've also looked into that for part time position. Eddie was actually going to be teaching adjunct at UA Fort Smith this next semester but he had a class conflict with the time of the class he was supposed to be teaching so he's had to cancel. I'm hoping he can do it again sometime though! Good luck with this interview goes well!

    ReplyDelete